Tuesday, January 13, 2015

2/52


A portrait of my daughter, once a week, every week, in 2015
11 weeks old – constantly blowing raspberries, you think they're the funniest thing.

My you're a character! I never knew how much personality a baby could have. It's the loveliest thing in the world, getting to know you.

Almost three years ago your dad and I were traveling through South America together and found we hadn't packed anything quite warm enough for the chilly high altitude weather we encountered in Bolivia (your dad's first experience of snow was there, of all places!) so we went searching for lovely alpaca knits in the markets of La Paz. It was there that I spotted this little cardigan and was surprised to find myself drawn to buy it, considering babies were a far off thought. A friend back home was in the final weeks of her pregnancy and I told myself it was for her little one but deep down I knew it was for you. Years later, come your arrival I didn't think I'd get a chance to dress you in it, what with you being a rather large spring baby, I was certain you'd be too big by the time the weather cooled. Happily we've had a few uncharacteristically cold days and I've taken every opportunity to rug you up in it. It makes my heart sing to see you wearing it and to know that in the smallest way you were there with us on that trip. A year ago this week we came home from our latest overseas jaunt and a month later I found out I was pregnant and so a new adventure began. We've just started to hatch some plans to explore the world as a family of three and I couldn't be more excited.

No comments:

Post a Comment